[olug] Newbie Question

Bill Brush bbrush at gmail.com
Thu Jan 12 17:11:57 UTC 2006

Well the connectivity issue is your first order of business.  If they
can't ping each other, then odds are they can't talk in any more
meaningful way.  Try shutting off any internal firewalls first, as a
troubleshooting step.

After you get the connection established you have 2 or 3 file transfer
options.  NFS (easy, but no security, probably perfect for your
situation), Samba (compatible with Windows, and that's about the only
thing I can say that's positive about it), or and ftp-style
server/client.

Where it's a home network with a small pool of users, I'd probably
just use NFS, and make sure that you can't connect from the outside
world.

Bill