[olug] RSS, Atom , etc.

Daniel Pfile daniel at pfile.net
Wed Dec 6 06:45:06 UTC 2006

Joe Gulizia wrote:
> What do RSS and Atom do for a website?
>
> Why would an end user want me to make it part of my site?

One thing that may apply to scola that doesn't to most sites, is scola
broadcasts video. And video podcasts are just rss files with links to mpegs.

There are a number of players in the works that take these feeds and
aggregate them, making an internet cable system of sorts. itunes is a
big example of one.

You can also transcode to flash video and make it a normal news type
blog, with video embedded.

OR, you could just use it to announce new features, sales pitches, fund
drives, etc, to your users. Like a mailing list, except they pull.

Normal http transport still applies, so you can still restrict access
with http auth, since I see you only allow internet video to certain people.

-- Daniel