[olug] Zipit wireless's $69.99 at Best Buy this week

Aaron Grothe ajgrothe at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 1 02:43:21 UTC 2006

Hey All,

 I don't know if you saw this in Sunday's ad.  The Zipit wireless instant messanger is on sale at Best Buy for $69.99 this week.

 It is a little Linux bos running an IM client on it.  Monochrome screen with built in wireless.  There is a yahoo group that is devoted to making them more general purpose machines by loading a custom distro on them.

 Putting linux on these machines is a bit tricky and can involve some hardware mods.  They also only have 2MB of Ram and Rom which is kinda of limiting.  There is a distro with SSH and links in it available though.

 I've got one but I haven't had the chance to reload it yet.  Maybe in a couple of weeks.  If anybody buys one or has one and wants compare notes let me know.

 Regards,

 Aaron
 -=-=-
 NEbraskaCERT conference 2006 is August 8-10, Register Today