[olug] Hardware issue: Philips PCRW1208 CDRW is possessed

OBrien, Timothy IrishMASMS at olug.org
Mon Feb 21 19:56:30 UTC 2005

My Philips PCRW1208 CDRW is possessed - sometimes (out of the blue, approx
15 min after startup) the tray opens and closes without any prompting;
which then causes the PC to hang up. Only a hard reboot brings the PC back
to 'normal', but it does not stop the CDRW problem.

I swapped it out with a spare CDRW drive (a Philips CDD4801/81), and
everything worked fine; even copied some CDs. Reinstall the PCRW1208, the
same issues occur.

I <a
href="http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=gtfg&r=f">GTFG</a>
for some solutions, and <a
href="http://www.google.com/search?q=philips+pcrw1208&hl=en&lr=&c2coff=1&start=0&sa=N">found
 that there are some others with the same problem but was unable to find
any solutions</a>.

Any ideas?

--
Timothy "Irish" O'Brien

A: No.
Q: Should I include e-mail quotations after my reply?