[olug] OT?: SSL certs: freessl.com is awesome!
jay at jays.net
Sat Feb 19 02:45:34 UTC 2005
If you've ever tried to register an SSL web server certificate w/ a CA,
you've probably spent hours/days banging your forehead against Verisign
freessl.com is awesome.
- Automated voice confirmation. A VRU calls you 10 seconds after you
type in a phone number.
- Automated email confirmation. Get an email, reply, and you're done.
- Total turnaround time for a new cert: 20 minutes. 100% automated.
- Chained wildcard certificates: Buy a single cert for *.olug.com and
you can SSL as many hostnames as you want. Save big $!
- Cheaper than Thawte or Verisign.
Yes, I know you can be your own CA for free, but then users get a
warning popup about the untrusted CA. freessl.com certs work perfectly
in 99% of browsers -- no popups.
Plus the whole "chained cert" thing is interesting.
More information about the OLUG