[olug] server install help

A-Wal A-Wal at cox.net
Sun Aug 7 05:52:30 UTC 2005

Dave Thacker wrote:

>So how's your back?  I've had one of these in the basement for a couple of
>years.  It took two of us to get it down the stairs.   I really should move
>it upstairs, but.....

It's certainly a heavy beast, but me and my father were able to manage
getting it upstairs.

>First things first.  You might need a Compaq/HP system disk to get your raid
>into shape.   I have one in the bowels of my basement.  I'll see if I can dig
>it out tomorrow.  I think I owe someone else on the list a copy of this.

Actually, I was able to download all the support disk ISOs from the HP
website.  It took a little digging, but I was even able to find a ROMPaq
bios update on there website.  Trust me, they didn't want it to be
found!  The array is configured on the bios end of things, and Redhat
7.1 has no problems at all detecting and installing on it.  However,
Fedora and Suse are being pricks.

>With the raid configured, I've had Slackware 9.1 on the machine.  It's
>currently due for a re-load, so maybe we can collaborate.

Slackware is an option I hadn't thought of.  Did it auto-detect the
hardware and install automatically, or did you need additional modual
install disks for it?  I was also thinking of downloading the free
version of Solaris 10.  The HP website says it supports Solaris 8, so I
was thinking that 10 may work.  However, that's what I thought about RH
7 and Fedora too. :(  I do know that RH 7 does work though, cause I'm
using it right now.