[olug] SuSE or RHEL or Centos or Fedora or Xandros

Mike Hostetler hostetlerm at gmail.com
Thu Sep 9 17:32:46 UTC 2004

On Thu, 9 Sep 2004 09:17:54 -0700 (PDT), Sean Edwards
<cybersean3000 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> If you search hard enough and in the right places
> (blogs, newsgroups, etc) you may find ways to get your
> commercial software to work.

[snip]
> For example, I have WebLogic running on Debian PPC and
> Mac OS X.  Both platforms are said to be
> "unsupported".  With commercial software, there are
> degrees of "unsupported".
[snip]

For the record, I got WebLogic running on Gentoo with zero problems.

I totally agree with what Sean said -- "unsupported" means different
things to different vendors.  Sometimes its simply "we''ve never
tested it" or sometimes it's "we have strict requirements that only
that version of that distro has."

I still have nightmares about getting a Dialogic voice card running on
RedHat.  Oh, we got it working, but not without installing another
package, a kernel upgrade and compile, and then several reboots.  And
it was *supported* with that version of RedHat.

--
Mike Hostetler
thehaas at binary.net
http://www.binary.net/thehaas