[olug] Linux-Friendly MP3 Players? (iRock, etc.)

K.J. Kirwan kjk_elec at ix.netcom.com
Sat Nov 27 00:53:12 UTC 2004

I want to listen to some audio CDs while walking,
and maybe in my car (no CD player).  I thought
about buying one of those clamshell portable CD
players, until a friend of mine showed me his iRock
860 player.  That seems to me like a much better idea.
Flash-based, no moving parts, one AA battery.
Pager-sized, 256MB, holds about 4 hours.

So before buying anything, I thought I would ask
the OLUG group for any thoughts about this.

iRock?  iRiver?  RCA Lyra?  Something else?  What?

Is anyone using one with Linux?  Or are all of
these products more of the Windows-only mob?
Did your Linux distro recognize it at once?
Which distro was it?  Or was it a KDE app?

What file formats, just MP3?
Is anyone using one that does OGG?
Is non-DRM WMA usable in Linux (Wine, etc.)?

Does anyone have any better Q's to add?

I would be interested to hear any advice,
comments, stories, and adventures.  With
Christmas not far off, maybe others would
be interested too.

Thanks and Happy Holidays,

Kim Kirwan