[olug] System management tools

Sean Kelly smkelly at zombie.org
Sat Nov 27 00:06:52 UTC 2004

I am currently looking for tools and solutions for maintaining system
configurations on many machines in a networked environment where each
machine may run one of several OSes, have several different purposes, etc.

For example, some machines are running Linux (RHEL AS 3), some are running
HP-UX 11/11i, and some are running FreeBSD. Some machines are running
Oracle, some are running Apache, some are running ISC BIND, and others are
running Sendmail.

I've looked at a few solutions, such as cfengine (http://www.cfengine.org),
the solution used by FedEx, and various other things. None of them seem to
hit the nail on the head, so to speak.

I was curious what others are using out there, if anything. We're talking
at least a few dozen machines spread across a few subnets, OSes, services,
etc...

--
Sean Kelly         | PGP KeyID: D2E5E296
smkelly at zombie.org | http://www.zombie.org