[olug] Linux Filesystems

Sean Edwards cybersean3000 at yahoo.com
Thu May 20 20:31:23 UTC 2004

It used to be you had to optomize the volume for
performance when you created it.  I am sure on some
level the concepts still apply.

With large databases, it is better to use a larger
block size.  8, 16, 32 or even 64k block sizes can
vastly improve database performance.

Use smaller block sizes, 2, 4, or 8k for systems
storing a lot of small files, like a file server
storing user documents.

-=Sean=-