[olug] New TightVNC issue

jachurchill at cox.net jachurchill at cox.net
Mon Jun 28 00:01:19 UTC 2004

I had never really attempted to get VNC working on a Linux box before these emails went around.  I have to say, it was much easier than I expected.  I am able to get in from inside and outside my network.  However, there is one issue I don't understand (well, maybe 1.5 issues).

First, my default window manager is KDE which I have running at all times.  When I VNC in from inside or outside the network, I do not see KDE, I simple see a desktop w/ a single Xterm window.  I believe this is the "WindowMaker" environment but I'm not sure.  I want to have KDE at my disposal when I VNC in, not something else.  How do I change this?

Second, my connection is lost a lot, most often with clicking or selecting things with a mouse.  I don't know if that's normal or not.  With windows the connection is rarely lost and I thought Linux would be far more stable than Windows.  (It wouldn't be hard).

Anyway, if anyone has any ideas about either of these points I'd appreciate hearing them.

Thanks!

Jake Churchill