[olug] howto boot multiple linux partitions?

Brian Roberson roberson at olug.org
Mon Feb 16 04:51:31 UTC 2004

When you installed suse, you should of installed the boot loader on the
partition ( /dev/hda7 ) instead of not at all.... this way when you told
lilo under knoppix to try the loader on /dev/hda7 there was actually a
bootstap loader there...

or, from knoppix

mount /dev/hda7 somewhere
edit /etc/lillo.conf
and basically duplicate your knoppix entries pointing to whereever you
mounted /dev/hda7.

the main difference between grub and lilo is grub only loads itself into the
bootsector and from there knows how to read filesystems natively and loads
the kernel straight from disk.
lilo on the other hand loads not only its own bootloader, but also the
kernel ( and initrd if needed ) into the boot sector ( which is why you have
to re-run lilo after installing new kernels )

what you are trying to do is definately doable with lilo - a few different
ways - grub just exposes this possibility better.