[olug] NTPd w/modem support

Tim Bornholtz tim at bornholtz.com
Tue Feb 3 01:48:38 UTC 2004

PS wrote:

> Has anyone had any experience setting up a time server to update time
> using a modem? Our network does not have internet access and we need
> to use a modem to dial the time server in Boulder, Co.
> Thanks in advance,
> Patrick

<rant>

Am I the only one who sees all of the responses to this as a *serious*
sledgehammer approach to a problem?  NIST has a web page explaining the
number to call and the response that is received at:
http://www.boulder.nist.gov/timefreq/service/acts.htm

Then you should be able to set ntpd up in burst mode or with a -q to
exit ntpd after the first sync.

I guess that I don't really know the answer to the question but the
question was how to use ntpd with current hardware, I don't think the
answers of "Go buy a few hundred dollars worth of hardware to solve
this" is a very good answer.

</rant>

sorry.

-Tim