[olug] NTPd w/modem support

Vincent.Raffensberger at dtn.com Vincent.Raffensberger at dtn.com
Mon Feb 2 16:46:17 UTC 2004

If you're in a large commercial building or data center, plan to run an
antennae outside for it.  Many things can interfere with the signal and
you wouldn't want to troubleshoot that years from now.  The placement of
an UPS or rack could interfere...
MasterClock, TrueTime and Zyfer are the big brands.  If you have the
budget, I'd get an appliance like the Zyfer.
Here are a few links:

External via serial
http://www.gpsworld.com/gpsworld/product/productDetail.jsp?id=65810
http://www.gpsworld.com/gpsworld/product/productDetail.jsp?id=51777

Internal (check kernel and ntpd docs for compatibility)
http://www.gpsworld.com/gpsworld/product/productDetail.jsp?id=14494

Appliances:
http://www.gpsworld.com/gpsworld/product/productDetail.jsp?id=58719
http://www.gpsworld.com/gpsworld/product/productDetail.jsp?id=78485

patricks at digitalrom.com (PS)
Sent by: olug-bounces at olug.org
02/02/2004 08:37 AM
Please respond to
Omaha Linux User Group <olug at olug.org>

Omaha Linux User Group <olug at olug.org>
cc

Subject
Re: [olug] NTPd w/modem support

Vincent.Raffensberger at dtn.com wrote:

>I would just get a GPS time card and make you own stratum 1 ntpd server.
>The cards are relatively cheap these days.  I think I've seen them as low

>as $300 for a simple PCI card.  You can get a rackmount ntp "appliance"
>for $1-2K.
>

>patricks at digitalrom.com (PS)
>Sent by: olug-bounces at olug.org
>01/29/2004 04:17 PM
>Please respond to
>Omaha Linux User Group <olug at olug.org>

>Omaha Linux User Group <olug at olug.org>
>cc
>
>Subject
>[olug] NTPd w/modem support
>

>Has anyone had any experience setting up a time server to update time
>using a modem? Our network does not have internet access and we need to
>use a modem to dial the time server in Boulder, Co.
>Thanks in advance,
>Patrick

Do you have a brand or model number for such a card?

Thanks to all for the ideas!
Patrick