[olug] (no subject)

Phil Brutsche phil at brutsche.us
Wed Aug 18 21:16:40 UTC 2004

John Dickson wrote:
> I have been asked to find some lan traffic monitoring tools to
> identify inappropriate client http (etc) traffic, any suggestions?

If you need to monitor *web* traffic, you should use something like
Sentian or Bess, which can log which computer, or even which user
(depending on how your network authentication is set up) visited which
site, how much bandwidth they took up, etc.

There are also firewall-specific tools (such as ViewPoint for SonicWALL
firewalls) that can cover non-HTTP traffic.

--

Phil Brutsche
phil at brutsche.us