[olug] Jon Larsen, Thanks for the attempt (CUPS problems SuSE 9.1)

Sean Edwards cybersean3000 at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 16 14:43:35 UTC 2004

To check if something is running on port 631 use
fuser:

/<path>/fuser 631/tcp

This will return a process, or a list of processes
bound to the port.  You can then match this process id
with a record from top output and get a file name:

top | grep <process id>

If you want to kill all processes bound to a port, use
-k:

/sbin/fuser -k 631/tcp

The -k also kills all processes associated
with a file:

/sbin/fuser -k <path/to/file/name>

I am not familiar with how SUSE provides interaction
between services, CUPS, and the user, but with many
other linux disto's, only root can do anyting with
ports 1024 and below.

-=Sean Edwards=-
cybersean3000 at yahoo.com