[olug] Jon Larsen, Thanks for the attempt (CUPS problems SuSE 9.1)

Jon H. Larsen relayer at levania.org
Mon Aug 16 14:09:22 UTC 2004

On Wed, 4 Aug 2004, Jon H. Larsen wrote:

> The problem resolves around the fact that CUPS cannot bind to port 631, as
> it states that the port is already in use.  netstat does not report the
> port in use.  lsof did not show anything that I could identify as
> a possible conflict.  Switched the port over to port 80 for testing, and
> cups runs fine.  Switched it back to 631, and it exits the process.
> Changed the log level to 'debug2' and didn't get any more information than
> haveing the setting at 'info'.   Google searches returned others having a
> conflict with rpcd.quota and cups, but did not find it installed on the
> system.

Joe,

Since there haven't been any answers on why CUPS cannot bind to port 631
when nothing is running on their, you might as well can change the cups.conf
file to run on port 80.  This is going against what I would ever want to
recommend someone to do, because it will cause problems at some point.

Anyone have any suggestions as to why CUPS won't bind to 631 in SuSE 9.1?

Jon L.

--
Jon H. Larsen  - email: relayer (at) levania (dot) org
Omaha Linux Users Group - http://www.olug.org/