[olug] Opteron vs. Xeon

Bill Brush bbrush at unlnotes.unl.edu
Mon Aug 9 19:12:04 UTC 2004

olug-bounces at olug.org wrote on 08/09/2004 02:24:22 PM:

> Also, wrt to your apps, unless they are 64-bit native you may be
> better off with a Xeon.  The Opteron is a great, great, great chip
> and architecture, but the Xeon is time-tested.  IIRC the Xeon still
> trumps the Opteron with 32-bit apps.

I'm going to offer a counter opinion on this point.

While a 64 bit vs 32 bit app comparison makes this a no-brainer choice, the
choice for 32 bit is still IMO in favor of the Opteron IF you're going with
a multiple processor server (or might expand).

The Opteron has multiple data paths to memory vs a Xeon's 1 path, which is
going to allow it to manage data more efficiently and as you add processors
the single data path for the Xeon is going to become more and more of a
bottleneck.

Given my option I'd take an Opteron regardless.  It's newer technology, and
I won't have to replace it if an app I use becomes available in a 64 bit
version.

As always the choice is going to be heavily dependent upon your APPLICATION
of the hardware.  If all you're doing is text editing, then you don't need
either.  :-)

Bill