[olug] Opteron vs. Xeon

Ben Dinger ben at mac-geek.com
Mon Aug 9 19:24:22 UTC 2004

On Mon, Aug 09, 2004 at 09:37:26AM -0700, Sean Edwards wrote:
> We are looking to replace our Dell Xeon powered
> servers with HP Opteron's. Since Dell does not make
> Opteron based machines (and probably never will), we
> are looking to HP.
>
> Has anybody on the list done a comparison of Linux and
> WebLogic Server running on these two platforms?
>
> Budgets are due on the 17th, so any info this week
> would be great.

I just purchased a new HP ML350 for work, and am very pleased with it.  It's a 3.06ghz Xeon and the like.  The CPU obviously doesn't apply to you, but the HP hardware does.

I'm a hardware junkie, and I'm impressed with it.  It's a very, very, very well built server.  It's clearly been engineered specifically as a server, and used very good components.

FWIW, I recommend HP.  Very nice components, great prices, good warranties.

Also, wrt to your apps, unless they are 64-bit native you may be better off with a Xeon.  The Opteron is a great, great, great chip and architecture, but the Xeon is time-tested.  IIRC the Xeon still trumps the Opteron with 32-bit apps.

So, HP yes.  Good machines.

Opteron, only if you need the 64 bit support.

I just went through the same decision myself, so I know where you are coming from :).

--
Ben Dinger
ben at mac-geek.com
"The Pope?  How many divisions has he got?" --Josef Stalin