[olug] Remote Mandrake Update

Carl Lundstedt clundst at unlserve.unl.edu
Tue Oct 28 05:33:55 UTC 2003

Ed Carlsen wrote:

>Help!
>Some (other) volunteers at my church set up a Mandrake 9.1 server
>behind a router. They want (me) run a web page over the Qwest DSL line so they gave me the root password and used the router to redirect the SSH port (22?) to the mandrake box, so I have a console connection. No GUI interface.
>The church is normally locked so physical access is tough.
>They did not (and do not want) to redirect any other port, this rules out webmin.
>Apache2 is running but not PHP or mySQL.
>I want to remotely load and install PHP and MySQL using urpmi
>but I believe it will ask for the CDROM's. Is there any way to disable loading of software from the CDROM and force an internet download and install?
>
>Thanks for any ideas

You can always launch x-windows apps through ssh and get your gui fix.
Just ssh -X host.domain.  (If they have the applications installed.

f I was stumped on what to do, I'd find a good ftp server and download
rpms of what I needed and install them at the command line with rpm.

You could also use urpmi.removemedia <source> to stop it from asking for
cdrom(s).  Then use urpmi.addmedia ftp://<url>/source.list to get it to
get the rpm files via ftp.

Carl Lundstedt
UNL