[olug] RE: error w/ cdrdao

Sam Tetherow tetherow at nicusa.com
Sun Oct 5 22:36:13 UTC 2003

Guess I just have wonderful luck with my burning.  I buy cheap disk
(e-works/khypermedia) for .04/disc and put them in my elcheapo ide
burner (some no name I got for $20 after rebates at Office Max).  I
occasionally get failed burns but no more than 5% failure rating and I
usually get about 1000 disks out of a burner before that rate starts to
go up.  When this occurs I wait for the next elcheapo drive to get down
to the $20 range after rebates and pick a new one up.  I've been through
3 burns in the past 2 years and over 2000 discs and have only spent
~$100 on burners and average about 5 to 7 cents / disc.

The only thing I have found burning under linux is I can't manage to get
any speed between 24 and 48 (just defaults back down to 24x) and a lot
of the bargin media is 32X-40X which means I end up burning at 24X yet
under Win2k I can burn at 32 and 40 without a hitch.