[olug] missing C standard library?

Mike Hostetler thehaas at binary.net
Thu Feb 27 15:48:20 UTC 2003

On Thu, Feb 27, 2003 at 09:31:55AM -0600, Brian Wiese wrote:
> Apparently I'm missing the gcc standard libaries... Does anyone know of
> the deb package for this[1]?  I've looked and looked...
>
> I try to compile this c code, and it says that all of the header files are
> missing, "stdio.h, stdlib.h, ctype.h, string.h".  I have gcc, libc6, and
> make installed.  Is there a glibc package, or maybe some env variable I
> have to set?

I don't know much about Debian, but if you have gcc installed, you
probably have the standard libraries or headers (they are different
files).  In fact, if you didn't have the libraries, your system probably
wouldn't work!

Check to make sure that those files are in your /usr/include.  If they
are, then the make files are setup way, way wrong, you have an
environment problem, etc.  Try "gcc -I/usr/include".

If the includes aren't there, then you do have to find the right
packages!  Look for something like gcc-devel or something similar.

-- mikeh