[olug] linux kernel 2.4.18-17.7.x problems (from Red Hat) Some what solved

Don Kauffman dkauffman at tconl.com
Tue Feb 18 03:25:19 UTC 2003

I downloaded version  2.4.18-24.7.x and compiled that today. Got a
couple of errors on modules so ended compiling everything I wanted  into
 the kernel. Seems to work fine now except for still having the sound
disabled .When I run sndconifg it identifies that I do have a soundcard,

A ISAPNP sound card was found in your system. The details are:  Model:
ESS ES1869 Plug and Play AudioDrive:Unknown

It then tries to test it  I get no sound but these error messages:

The following error occurred running the modprobe program:
/lib/modules/2.4.18-24.7.x/kernel/drivers/sound/soundcore.o: unresolved
symbol sys_close_R268cc6a2
/lib/modules/2.4.18-24.7.x/kernel/drivers/sound/soundcore.o: unresolved
symbol kmalloc_R93d4cfe6
/lib/modules/2.4.18-24.7.x/kernel/drivers/sound/soundcore.o: unresolved
symbol vfree_R2fd1d81c
/lib/modules/2.4.18-24.7.x/kernel/drivers/sound/soundcore.o: unresolved
symbol unregister_chrdev_Rc192d491
/lib/modules/2.4.18-24.7.x/kernel/drivers/sound/soundcore.o: unresolved
symbol request_module_R27e4dc04

It then allows me to attempt to set it up manually. by specifying the
I/O port, the IRQ, the DMA and the MPU I/O.  However, it still gives
these messages no matter what I try. Does any one have a clue or should
I take it somewhere?

Yours very truly puzzled!

Don

--