[olug] Knoppix question

Sean Edwards cybersean3000 at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 20 17:11:35 UTC 2003

If you are booting Tom's Root/Boot floppy, the steps
are easy:

1) Log in as root (no password)
2) mount the windows drive:

This should work: mount /dev/hda1 /mnt
If not, try mount -t ntfs /dev/hda1 /mnt
or try: mount -t vfat /dev/hda1 /mnt

The first option above should automatically detect the
file system on that hard drive.  If not, you may have
to tell it which file system is on there.  If your
windows drive is NTFS, I think you will have read-only
access, but you can still copy things to floppy.

I do not know your system, I do not know how many
drives, you have, how your drives are partitioned, or
where your data is.  You may need to mount /dev/hda1,
or /dev/hdb1 or something like that.

3) When Tom's Root/Boot is loaded, the root file
system is actaully mounted in RAM on a RAM Drive - RAM
Drive is NOT an installation proceedure; old computer
joke ;).  So, once you log in, you can unmount the
floppy with umount /dev/fd0, and remove it from the
drive.

4) Place a new floppy in the drive and format it with
the file system you want on it:

mkfs -t vfat /dev/fd0

If the floppy is to be read by Windooz, use the vfat
file system.  Remember, if you format the floppy as
ntfs, you may not be able to write to it.

5) After the floppy is formatted, you may mount it:

since you are root, you can create a mount point off
the root file system, if it doesn't exist

mkdir /floppy

Then mount it:
mount /dev/floppy /floppy
mount -t vfat /dev/floppy /floppy

6) After the floppy is mounted, you may create any
directories if you want:

mkdir /mnt/directoryname
mkdir /mnt/directoryname/directoryname

and then copy your files

cp /mnt/path/on/windows/drive/filename.bla
/floppy/directory/name/.

You can also copy groups of files:

cp /mnt/path/on/windows/drive/*.bla
/floppy/directory/name/.

You can also copy subdirectories

cp -R /mnt/path/on/windows/drive/. /floppy/dirblah/.

Good Luck!

-=Sean Edwards=-
cybersean3000 at yahoo.com