[olug] $27 IBM thin clients (model#8361-110)

Brian Wiese bwiese at cotse.com
Fri Dec 19 07:12:13 UTC 2003

On 18 Dec 2003 11:36:23 -0600
"Ryan O'Rourke" <ryano at ch-gifts.com> wrote:

|On Thu, 2003-12-18 at 09:09, Brian Wiese wrote:
|> On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 19:48:04 -0600
|> Ken <emptymm at cox.net> wrote:
|> |Sorry, I'll need to read closer next time... *diskless* terminal..
|> |Without access to the local storage then it's a whole new ballgame.
|I'd > |guess it's just an X-client.
|
|> If it has a CPU, RAM, and NIC, it can be part of a cluster... local
|> storage is not really required.  The best thing I've seen for this
|> (perhaps the easiest?) is to bootup your master server with
|> clusterknoppix, and you have all these lovely thin clients ready to
|boot> off the network and join the cluster!!! muahahahah... ?
|
|I always thought that applications needed to be "cluster aware" in order
|for them to take advantage of the parallel computing environment. If
|that is the case, an OpenMosix cluster (or any cluster for that matter)
|would not do much good for the average Joe User whose apps don't make
|use of the clustered environment.
|I had a small, four node OpenMosix cluster set up in the office for a
|while but never once saw machines trading CPU cycles across nodes or
|sharing memory resources. Was I doing something wrong?

|-- Ryan

>From some brief reading around that I did, beowulf clusters need programs
specifically compiled for the cluster to run properly... but to my
understanding, any multiprocessed/threaded application, or job that can be
distributed (encoding a divx for instance) can be handled as a native job
for an openmosix cluster.

--
Brian Wiese
bwiese(at)cotse.com  gpg: 0x2FD6AF16    pgp.dtype.org