[olug] $27 IBM thin clients (model#8361-110)

Ryan O'Rourke ryano at ch-gifts.com
Thu Dec 18 17:36:23 UTC 2003

On Thu, 2003-12-18 at 09:09, Brian Wiese wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 19:48:04 -0600
> Ken <emptymm at cox.net> wrote:
> |Sorry, I'll need to read closer next time... *diskless* terminal..
> |Without access to the local storage then it's a whole new ballgame.  I'd
> |guess it's just an X-client.

> If it has a CPU, RAM, and NIC, it can be part of a cluster... local
> storage is not really required.  The best thing I've seen for this
> (perhaps the easiest?) is to bootup your master server with
> clusterknoppix, and you have all these lovely thin clients ready to boot
> off the network and join the cluster!!! muahahahah... ?

I always thought that applications needed to be "cluster aware" in order
for them to take advantage of the parallel computing environment. If
that is the case, an OpenMosix cluster (or any cluster for that matter)
would not do much good for the average Joe User whose apps don't make
use of the clustered environment.
I had a small, four node OpenMosix cluster set up in the office for a
while but never once saw machines trading CPU cycles across nodes or
sharing memory resources. Was I doing something wrong?

-- Ryan