[olug] SCO Wackin'

Mike Hostetler thehaas at binary.net
Tue Aug 26 15:17:21 UTC 2003

okay, I'll go . . . .

We have a product that always been based on SCO Openserver.  I've been
trying (and begging and pleading) to have them port it to Linux for a
long time.  When Caldera bought SCO, they said they were going to get rid
of OpenServer, so we ported it to UnixWare (which Caldera renamed
OpenUnix).  When SCO "came back" and re-comissioned OpenServer, our
management said "enough is enough" and okayed a port to RedHat.

We've had it GA'ed for a couple of months.  One new customer is already
on it, two existing customers are already migrated, and others are in the
process. Though we officially support all three now (OpenServer,
UnixWare, and RedHat), we push the RedHat, and most are willing to go.

Note that the ball started rolling before the lawsuits began.  Our
mid-management got a little nervous about the $500 fee, but upper
management said, "You aren't changing gears now, and we aren't paying
them."

If you wanna know how many SCO machines are replaced -- I can think of 10
off the top of my head.  I know one of our customers have switched 100's
of SCO boxes to Linux.