[olug] Kernel upgrade knocked out sound?

CM Miller cmmiller1973 at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 23 13:48:28 UTC 2003

--- David Walker <linux_user at grax.com> wrote:
> Alsa needs re-installed with each kernel.  I have it
> installed from source and
> after the kernel upgrade I just do a
> make clean && make && make install
> from the alsa source directory.
> (I can't remember if I did the make clean but it
> seems like a good idea)

When using apt-get under Knoppix to install alsa, I
keep getting the following errors:

root at Probot:/usr/bin# apt-get install alsa
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
Note, selecting alsa-base instead of alsa
Sorry, alsa-base is already the newest version.
You might want to run `apt-get -f install' to correct
these:
Sorry, but the following packages have unmet
dependencies:
  alsa-base: Depends: alsa-utils but it is not going
to be installed
W: Couldn't stat source package list
http://www.gnome.de ./ Packages
(/var/lib/apt/lists/www.gnome.de_debian_._Packages) -
stat (2 No such file or directory)
W: You may want to run apt-get update to correct these
problems
E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get install -f' with
no packages (or specify a solution).

Also, I've not been successful in getting Gnome to run
on my laptop under Knoppix.  Isn't alsa part of Gnome?

AND, we booting, I see some acpi error message and
modules errors flyby on the screen.  But dmesg | grep
'foo' isn't finding anything.

Anyway to search this better to troubleshoot this?

thanks

-Chris

=====
"The use of COBOL cripples the mind; its teaching should, therefore, be regarded as a criminal offense."

-Edsger W. Dijkstra