[olug] Kernel upgrade knocked out sound?

Jason Mollner jjmollner at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 20 20:00:33 UTC 2003

I hope not to start a war...but what do I gain by always installing my
kernels by hand?

I see it like this...
By hand:
Pro - Takes longer so I can't update my kernel as often
Con - optimized for my needs/hardware.
Not by hand:
Pro - I can easily (and thus, more frequently) update to a bleeding edge
kernel
Con - it isn't optimized.

I used to be in the Gentoo crowd and thought that having everything
optimized for my hardware was important but after switching to
debian, I haven't found any noticeable loss in performance, so now
I just use whichever distro is the easiest to maintain.

Here is an article comparing the speed of sources vs. binaries: