[olug] Kernel upgrade knocked out sound?

Jason Mollner jjmollner at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 20 19:35:09 UTC 2003

I figured that since Knoppix uses Debian-style package management, you
should do things the Debian way.  If you want to use the latest non-debian
kernel and alsa modules but still use kpkg, here is a good howto:
http://www.d.kth.se/~d98-jas/debian/debian-install-alsa.txt

I've used this for the unstable release on my laptop with no problems.

My bet is that you forgot to install the new alsa modules with dpkg -i or
you that you are somehow no longer a member of the audio group.

If you want to use Knoppix sources, just make sure that apt-get's
sources.list file is pointing to a knoppix server and follow the
instructions on the link above.  Everything should still work the
same.