[olug] best broadband option?

OBrien, Timothy (Omaha Linux Users Group - OLUG) IrishMASMS at olug.org
Tue Aug 19 21:04:44 UTC 2003

<quote who="Bob McCoy">
> Just to add a little fuel to the fire ...
[snipped]

> - Cox does block outbound SMTP for @Home customers.  You must dump your
> email (Smart Host) off on their server for forwarding.  And as far as I
> can tell, they are blocking inbound port 135 because my firewall logs
> don't show any evidence of the MSBlaster worm.  However, as far as I can
> tell, there is very little if any other filtering.

Cox started blocking port 135 when the blaster worm came out. My modem was
up & down a week ago friday as Cox was resetting all the modems to block
that port.

> - If you've got a $100 cable bill, you're obviously getting more than
> your cable modem.

cable TV + Digital cable + cable Internet access = ~$100
(this is without any movie channels, mind you)

[snipped]

> Oh, and welcome to Nebraska. I'm a transplant myself, along with about
> 50% of the city it seems. What brings you here?
[snipped]

Second that question - I am another transplant.

--
Timothy "Irish" O'Brien
Publicity & Social activities chairperson