[olug] ACPI Under Linux

Joe Noble noble at flashman.com
Sun Sep 22 17:07:18 UTC 2002

Hi,

(Sorry for the long post, actually have more details if anyone would
care to see them.)

I bought a new 1.2GHz computer locally from DIT.  I'm dual booting to
Win98SE and RH7.3.  Everything works fine, except under Linux the system
appears to hang after being unattended for about an hour and a half.  I
suspect ACPI is causing the apparent hang and it has actually gone into
some sort of a suspend state from which Linux can not recover and of
course the disk gets trashed.  I'd prefer to turn off ACPI all together,
but the AMI bios isn't capable of disabling it.  Win98 works fine and
doesn't have any problems.  I use my linux box for web development
primarily, but I'm considering using Windows instead
(Apache/Tomcat/PHP/MySQL) and dropping Linux.  I've been using RH Linux
since version 5.0 and would like to keep it, but growing tired of the
wrestling match trying to get it working.  This has been an ordeal since
late May when I decided to upgrade my old RH6.2 system and the reason I
bought the new computer.

Has anyone bought one of these computers and got it to run as a server
(able to run unattended for days)?  Any suggestions on how to proceed?

Here's what I've done/found so far:

System Description:
-------------------

    CPU: 1.2 MHz Duron
    MEM: 128 MB
   DISK: 40 GB (20GB Win98SE/20GB Linux)
     MB: Gigabyte GA-7VKML
   BIOS: AMI

What I've done:
---------------

1. Installed RH7.3 (kernel-2.4.18-3)
2. Upgraded to kernel 2.4.18-5
3. Upgraded to kernel 2.4.18-10
4. Rebuilt kernel turning off APM and turning on ACPI
    Here is excerpt from .config file:
       CONFIG_PM=y
       CONFIG_ACPI=y
       # CONFIG_ACPI_DEBUG is not set
       CONFIG_ACPI_BUSMGR=y
       # CONFIG_ACPI_SYS is not set
       # CONFIG_ACPI_CPU is not set
       CONFIG_ACPI_BUTTON=m
       # CONFIG_ACPI_AC is not set
       # CONFIG_ACPI_EC is not set
       # CONFIG_APM is not set
5. Downloaded and installed acpid-1.0.1-1.i386.rpm
    Verified it's running and in a sleep state.
6. Enabled every possible BIOS ACPI restore option.
7. Looked at /proc directory, found there was a /proc/acpi
    directory, but nothing related to acpi under /proc/sys
    as the documentation (acpi_howto.txt) suggests.  As experience
    has shown, documentation doesn't bare any resemblance to what
    I'm seeing.
8. Found /proc/acpi directory contains only "file" called events.
9. Found there is no option in the kernel config file to turn on
    or off Sleep mode.

HELP!
-joe-

--