[olug] Telnet on Private Network

Nick Walter waltern at iivip.com
Fri Nov 22 17:51:53 UTC 2002

Newer releases of Red Hat are a bit more security conscious and disable
a lot of services by default.  This can be confusing to track down, as
some services are provided by standalone daemon, some through xinetd,
etc.

In the specific case of ftpd and telnetd on RH7.3, look in
/etc/xinetd.d/ directory.  There will be one file for each configured
service.  Almost all of those files will contain a line saying "disable
= yes".  Changing that line to "disable = no" and then restarting xinetd
will activate the service.

So in summary:
1.)  Edit /etc/xinetd.d/telnet and change disable=yes to disable=no
2.)  Edit /etc/xinetd.d/wu-ftpd and change disable=yes to disable=no
3.)  Restart xinted (the command "service xinetd restart" is the easy
way)

Nick Walter