[olug] Telnet on Private Network

Christopher Cashell topher at zyp.org
Fri Nov 22 19:20:43 UTC 2002

At Fri, 22 Nov 02, Unidentified Flying Banana Mike Peterson, said:
> What else could I be missing that is keeping telnetd from being
> accessed from the network?

Does it work from localhost?

If you're on one of the machines in question, and you type:

   telnet user at localhost

Does it work?  If not, then you can eliminate network problems and
concentrate on finding out why telnetd isn't working.  Running nmap on
localhost might be a worthy exercise as well, to see if it's catching
anything running.

Just out of curiosity, have you tried Secure Shell?  Even on a local
network, Secure Shell is a better option than Telnet, IMO.  If any
single machine is ever compromised on your network, by using telnet,
you're giving away access to every other machine on your network.  For
file transfers, scp or sftp work very well, as non-anonymous ftpd opens
the door as wide as telnet does.

With proper key management and the use of something like ssh-agent, ssh
can also be more convenient than telnet.