[olug] Suggestions/Gotchas for upcoming Debian Install

Aaron Grothe grothe at earthlink.net
Tue Jun 25 05:08:02 UTC 2002

Hi,

You could try Progeny's PGI (piggy) installer.

http://archive.progeny.com/progeny/pgi/

They've got an iso which will handle the majority of the early install.  You
need a broadband connection, with the current installer setup.  But the
installer works really well.  Note: I haven't played with it since Progeny
died, but it was pretty slick back then.  I did upgrade my version of
Progeny to woody pretty smoothly though.  You can still get the old version
of progeny at a couple of places off the web, but it has really become
dated.  Don't forget to the read the PGI faq though
http://hackers.progeny.com/pgi/faq.html

The other way that makes it cake is to install Libranet www.libranet.com
(1.91 is available free from www.linuxiso.org) and then do an upgrade to
Woody.  I know a lot of people who just Libranet instead of Debian.  It has
all the power of apt-get with a good installer and a decent manual.

PGI is probably the "better" way as it will probably become the standard
Debian installer in 2.6/3.0 Debian.

Regards,

Aaron
=-=-=
"The Journey is the Reward" - Old Zen Buddhist Saying