[olug] Suggestions/Gotchas for upcoming Debian Install

Robert A. Jacobs r.a.jacobs at cox.net
Tue Jun 25 04:50:32 UTC 2002

Okay Gang,

	I'm about to redo my system and I'm going back to Debian (I've been
using Mandrake for about six months now, cannot stand the way Mandrake
organizes their filesystem or the hell that is RPM and totally miss the
ease of use that is apt-get! -- No intention to incite a Holy War, just
my opinion -- YMMV).

	What I would like from any of you out there are suggestions on how to
make the early phases of this installation as painless as possible:
specifically, I'd like to get to get at least base system, Internet
connectivity via DHCP, Gnome 1.4, a mail server, and Evolution 1.0.5 in
place on the first pass through the install -- I figure if I can get
those things working, I can figure out any other problems I have using
the many resources available on the net.

1.  Mailserver:  Exim or Postfix?  These are the two mailservers I've
used in the past -- any opinions (God, help me) on which is "better"
security-wise, ease of use/installation, etc.  Any other suggestions?
Gotchas?

2.  Setting up DHCP:  should just need to make sure my network card
driver is installed, install dhclient, set nameservers in
/etc/resolv.conf, correct?

3.  Gnome 1.4:  I've had problems with this one in the past (one of the
contributing reasons I went to Mandrake).  What debian packages do I
need to install to get Gnome 1.4 to work?  Do I need to add any values
to any of the various X configuration files in my home directory?  Six
months ago, mixing Ximian and Gnome 1.4 packages was considered a No-No
in the Debian world, still the case (not that I would, just curious)?

By the way, my install strategy is to install a base system from
Debian 2.2r6 CDs and then upgrade to Woody using Woody ISOs I've got
dated June 10 (got 'em from the Debian On CD testing site).  Once the
base system is upgraded, I'll install and configure the applications
above, update apt.sources and be on my way. Any other suggestions?
(btw, I'm not interested in doing a NET install at this time).

Up until six months ago, I had been using Debian for almost a year -_ so
I'm not a total newbie (just out of practice - GUI tools rot your brain!
:] ) With the exception of my failure to successfully install GNOME, I
did alright.

Any help/advice this time around would be greatly appreciated...

Rob

For help contact olug-help at olug.org - run by ezmlm
(c)1998-2002 OLUG http://www.olug.org