[olug] Argh!

Sam Tetherow tetherow at nol.org
Mon Dec 16 00:30:57 UTC 2002

Nick Walter wrote:

>I've filled up partitions in my time, even filled up / on a couple of
>occassions.  RH Linux always impressed me by not crashing or having horrible
>seizures when it happened.  I've seen other Unices do a lot lot worse in the
>same situation.

Run it a little bit longer, horrible things will start to happen :).
 Once mem and swap are full there isn't much you can do.

>The only thing I can think of is that Mozilla perhaps erases/re-writes the
>bookmarks when you edit them?  I'm 100% in agreement with Adam that nothing
>in Red Hat or Mandrake Linux will arbitrarily delete files just because a
>partition is full.  The only thing that should happen is some processes
>dying or freezing because they can't complete I/O.

It is poorly written applications that cause this.  As the program
exists it opens the file to rewrite the data, when the open command is
given there is no error since you are not trying to write anything to
disk.  In doing so you have now managed to set the file marker at byte
zero in the file.  You now try to write but alas there is no room on the
disk so you get an error and the program will exit meanwhile leaving the
file marker at 0, effectively wiping the file.  The better way to do
this is to create a second file, write out the new data and then rename
the file with the old filename.