[olug] no nonsense wireless ISP

puzzled at home.com puzzled at home.com
Sun Mar 11 19:16:58 UTC 2001

       I spent this morning installing a router, switch, DNS & email
servers for americanrelay.com - a wireless ISP that is mostly going to
serve the smaller communities in the area that aren't reachable with
DSL, ISDN, or Cable.  Our Sprint T1 is in the building but not to the
office yet - we should be in service later this week.

        I'd be willing to colocate a utility server for olug and do
forward DNS if someone volunteers to help admin it - I envision some
simple system where your unix system monitors its IP and when it changes
it secure shells into the utility server and runs some simple script to
submit an update. I'd also do mail forwarding if you want to run your
own qmail system @home.

        We don't intend to spend a lot of energy on wireless in Omaha
but I am looking for a method to get service to my house (105th &
Center) from either the office (300 South 16th) or the Woodmen building.

        If you're pissed at @home, go outside and see if you can see the
Woodmen - if enough people can see it and want service I'll look into
setting up a Breezecom bridge, otherwise my house is liable to just get
an ISDN line.