[olug] Virtual Domains on Apache

Phil Brutsche pbrutsch at creighton.edu
Tue Jun 12 21:39:14 UTC 2001

Quoting Adam Korab <adam at ledhazard.net>:

> First, after adding the <VirtualHost> sections, did you restart httpd?

Yes, definitely.  That mistake is sooo easy to make...

> Second, in httpd.conf you should see:
>
> # If you want to use name-based virtual hosts you need to define at
> # least one IP address (and port number) for them.
> #
> #NameVirtualHost 12.34.56.78:80
> #NameVirtualHost 12.34.56.78
>
> Make sure you uncomment these and replace it with your valid IP address
> (most certainly the one your ISP is pointing at)

For me, the "NameVirtualHost" directive works best if you give the IP numbers
*that are on the web server and will be used to server virtual domains*, and
not the ones that have been assigned by the ISP.

This is especially the case if the web server is behind a firewall that does IP
Masquerading or NAT.

> Third, if that should fail, what have you got between <VirtualHost> and
> </VirtualHost>

Seconded!

> I also recommend picking up a copy of the Horse Book, the O'Reilly
> title _Apache: The Definitive Guide_ (second edition) by Ben Laurie and Peter
> Laurie.  It's really quite an invaluable reference.

Definitely :)  Every Linux dude should have a copy of the O'Reilly book for the
software they have on their servers...

Phil