[olug] Questions: GRUB, Debian, and Win 98 SE

ktb x.y.f at home.com
Sat Jan 20 16:06:45 UTC 2001

On Sat, Jan 20, 2001 at 09:52:02AM -0600, Jason Ferguson wrote:
> Okay, I finally decided that its time to upgrade the old celery 400. So,
> here's what I want to do (software-wise, hardware is another story):
>
> 1.  This system will dual-boot Debian and Win98 SE.
> 2.  I want to use a 2.2.18 kernel (or 2.2.19 pre/ac series)
> 3.  I want my main Debian partitions to be ReiserFS
> 4.  I want a graphical or menu-based boot loader rather than LILO's text
> prompt.
>
> Now, I may be adding a bit too much complexity with number 3... I do
> have a web link for installing Debian with Reiser (much better than what
> I did before, I'll be taking down that old article Real Soon Now and
> updating it), but the dual boot might make it a tad complex.
>
> Question time: Does GRUB provide that graphical boot loader? One of the
> things I like about Win NT is the menu-based boot loader. I need Win 98
> for games and for Office (I'll evaluate Open Office when available, but
> Im strange enough to LIKE MS Office, bloated as it is).
>
> If GRUB can do that, is is possible to install Debian with GRUB rather
> than LILO?

Grub is part of stable so yes you can use it.  I've never used it but
from the description at -
http://freshmeat.net/projects/gnugrub/?highlight=grub
it should meet your needs just fine.  The latest lilo should work for
you also it has a console menu.
hth,
kent

--
I'd really love ta wana help ya Flanders but... Homer Simpson