[olug] netscape

Chad S. Lauritsen csl at plconline.com
Tue Jan 2 16:53:49 UTC 2001

Nathan Brown wrote:

> Jay Woods wrote:
> >
> > Unless you are sending it as an attachment, the image is converted to a
> > code-64 format which about doubles the size. The solution is to send the
> > image as an attachment. ---Jay
>
> I was sending as an attachment ..or else i'm not sure what your saying
> ...I just clicked on the paperclip to send it ...

hmmm... it was my impression that even if the file is sent as an
attachment it gets converted to base64 (an ASCII (7-bit) representation
of binary data). I don't know if there's any way to avoid this happening
other than to use the aforementioned methods of posting to a web
location and sending the URL. Please, correct me if I'm wrong on this.

Generally speaking though, there should not be a need to send a 3MB
image, esp. if all you're going to do with the image is view it on
screen. Converting to JPG saves an immense amount of space--the 3MB size
of the file makes me think you need to trim the resolution down, esp if
it's just a snapshot or something similar. If it's a satellite pic of
one of Saddam Hussein's hideouts, you might want the greater
resolution--but screen viewing of a snapshot need not be > 100K in JPG
format.

Keep in mind that email is convenient, but it is not an efficient
replacement for FTP. The ease and convenience of email file transfers is
mitigated by having to convert files to a 7-bit encoding scheme to
ensure safe transit through MTA's on the net.

> thanks
> Nate
>

> > Nathan Brown wrote:
> >
> > > Can someone tell me how to fix this ??
> > > my netscape is sending a picture to my daughter that is too large
> > > because the size of the file is doubled from the actual file size.
> > > I'm sending a pic of 3043 K   when I actually send it via netscape email
> > > it reads that it's sending 6087 K ..... and it must be because she
> > > should be able to receive the 3043 but not the 6087.
> > >
> > > thanks
> > > Nate

Chad Lauritsen                          | 1000 N 2nd Ave
System Administrator                    | Logan, IA 51546
Perfection Learning Corporation         | 712-644-2831 Ext 223

Mairzee doates andozee doates anlitta lamzee-divee
A-kiddalee divee too wooden-choo.