[olug] mod_auth_db on redhat

Adam Haeder adamh at omaha.org
Thu Dec 13 06:39:37 UTC 2001

Got it working.

The problem did lie in the incompatible databases. The solution was to
recompile both apache (specifically the mod_auth_db modules) and DB_File
against the same Berkeley DB (in this case 3). But wait, you cry, you
already did that. Ah, so true. However, I made one small mistake:

After I recompiled apache, I did a 'make install' to put it in
/usr/local/apache. Then I mistakenly used

/usr/local/apache/bin/apachectl restart

to restart the server. I realize now that this does not pull the old
binary out of memory and read the new binary from disk into memory (which
is what I wanted), it merely sends a SIGHUP to the already running (old)
binary. So instead I did a

/usr/local/apache/bin/apachectl stop
/usr/local/apache/bin/apachectl start

and all is well.