[olug] What distro next?

Roger Ramirez chariot at chariotzero.com
Mon Aug 20 23:53:07 UTC 2001

On Sun, 19 Aug 2001, Jeff Hinrichs wrote:

> So, I believe, it's time for me to start expanding my horizons.  I've had
> experience with RH 5.2,7.0,7.1 and a couple Mandrake versions.  Server based
> installations are my current interest.  If I'm interested in
> trying/experimenting with Samba, OpenLDAP, Mail servers (maildir based
> systems as opposed to mbox) what distro would make the most sense for me to
> try next.

Hi there.  I'm relatively new to the OLUG list and I don't even live in
Nebraska (I'm down in Ft. Lauderdale, FL) but this post interests me so I
thought I'd respond.

I'm not a guru of Linux by any means and I've only gone through the
installs of a few distos.  I've done RH 6.2, 7.0, 7.1, Trustix Secure
Server, Suse, Madrake, Caldera, Progeny, Slackware... actually I don't
remember being successful with Slackware cause it was one of the first installs I
ever did.

If you want a good secure server, you are used to RPMS, and you hate
having xwindows on your server like I do go for Trustix.  Trustix was made
with security in mind.  Other disto's which I've heard mention often as
great disto's are Debian and Slackware.  Debian is supposed to be a great
distro because of the whole GNU/Linux philosophy behind it.  Also, .deb
packages are supposedly alot better than RPMs since they'll actually
download dependencies for you (like YaST on SuSe).  Slackware is a great
distro if you REALLY want to know how everything works and you enjoy
torturing yourself. :)  Actually now that I have a bit more knowledge
about Linux I plan on going back and trying to install Slackware.

-Roger