[olug] cd-rom drive

Mark Martin mmartin at amath.washington.edu
Thu Aug 2 14:30:34 UTC 2001

Dear Jim,

I experienced similar symptoms when I tried to install Mandrake on a
machine with ACPI enabled.  Make sure that ACPI is turned off in your
BIOS.  (The relevant setting in my BIOS asked whether I had an ACPI OS.
The correct answer was "no".)

This problem had me scratching my head for quite a while until I read
the Linux Weekly News write up about ACPI and Linux a few weeks ago.
Linux intentionally does not support ACPI.  The article in LWN didn't
say anything about the consequences for devices but it got me thinking.

No guarantees but worth a shot.

Good luck,

Mark
Mark A. Martin					Dept of Applied Mathematics
http://www.amath.washington.edu/~mmartin	University of Washington