[olug] burning cd-r's >650

Adam Haeder adamh at omaha.org
Thu Apr 12 22:11:50 UTC 2001

Adam Lassek wrote:

> The last several times I've tried burning to a 700 meg cdr cdrecord screwed
> up and coastered it. It works fine with a 650, is there some setting I need
> to be passing cdrecord for larger discs?

This is usually an issue with the burner itself. 700 meg is not an
"official" cd-rom format, but people have found that you can make it
work. It's kind of like over-clocking, on some systems it's easy, others
not so easy (or impossible). If your burner is recent (<1 year old) it
will probably work, older than that, it's a crap shoot. The
documentation that came with it should mention 700M cds if it can do it.
My 3 year old Plextor 4x can't handle them.

--
Adam Haeder
Technical Coordinator, AIM Institute
adamh at omaha.org