[olug] Redhat Versus debian

Vincent vraffensberger at home.com
Wed Oct 18 16:46:21 UTC 2000

"Paul T. McNally" wrote:

> I like debian the best because their distro scheme is the better
> plan in the long run. I really hate it when I take a virgin RedHat
> system, install an RPM and it gets a segmentation fault error
> when I go to run it. That really should not happen but it does.
> That tells me the whole RPM thing is a bit undercooked. The

Well, I don't know what you're doing, but I haven't seen anything segfault off
the 6.2/7.0 distro cd.  And believe me, I've been through nearly every app on
both cd's in the last couple weeks.  Therefore, I'm guessing you're talking
about something you've downloaded from wherever and installed.

Try to understand that RPM and apt-get, in the way you are using it, is merely a
installation tool.  That means it basically just copying pre-compiled binaries
and other files and setting permissions.  If that app has a problem, it has
nothing to do with the installer.  The most likely problem is the person who
made the rpm didn't make it properly check for all that's required.  If I tar a
bad app and give it to you, is it a problem with tar?

If you're having a problem with an app, the problem goes back to the person who
compiled it and packaged it or the developer.

> debian has the potential of suffering in the long run from
> atrophy. If people don't use it, the developers will quit
> and over time debian will get weaker support.

Debian is Linux, Redhat is Linux, etc...  What's the point?  So maybe the
developer won't waste time packaging his app for one distro's installer because
not as many people are using it.  That's not a problem, you can surely still get
the source and do it yourself.  That's basically what Redhat and Debian are
doing for you, other that their own code contributions such as rpm and apt-get,
etc...