[olug] Redhat Versus debian

Paul T. McNally nally at radiks.net
Wed Oct 18 12:21:03 UTC 2000

 I think any of the major distros of Linux are great. My 2 favs are
debian and RedHat. RedHat is great to learn because anywhere I
go, if Linux us used, it's RedHat. Some places will send you to
RedHat and take their classes and the cert exam and pay for it.
All the more reason to know RedHat.

I like debian the best because their distro scheme is the better
plan in the long run. I really hate it when I take a virgin RedHat
system, install an RPM and it gets a segmentation fault error
when I go to run it. That really should not happen but it does.
That tells me the whole RPM thing is a bit undercooked. The
only downside to debian is not all the apps, utilities and programs
are going to be the very latest like you get with RedHat, but you
get the stability and lack of segmentation fault errors you do with
RedHat. You can always install manually the stuff in Debian that
is not the latest greatest. I'm not a huge debian guru and could
probably use some lessons in how to best use apt and dpkg (all
in good time). I use debian at home cuz I'm willing to trade off
the benefits of debian over what RedHat offers. I can't see
RedHat getting better in terms of package management stability
unless they do some major rewriting work. debian in the long run
will only get better. The foundation on which debian is built
is a much more solid one than RedHat's.

debian has the potential of suffering in the long run from
atrophy. If people don't use it, the developers will quit
and over time debian will get weaker support.

As an aside I suspect RedHat did do at least some rewriting of
some of their most basic stuff dealing with RPM management
(much more than that Redmond joke of company would ever
dare even think about doing).

RedHat may have more people and businesses using it
but when has that made using it the right thing to do?

This trend of RedHat is not as good because it's popular and
Linux isn't cool anymore because it is popular is pretty
hilarious (yes that is a jab at all you BSd'ers) ;-)
If you do bsd cuz Linux isn't cool anymore, that's a crock.
If you do bsd cuz it's a bit more Internet savvy, that's
cool. I know for a fact that Chris Garrity fits the second
desription. I know of at least on person that fits the first.

Paul

debian's logo is cooler than RedHat's. And debian is actually
all lower case (which is an old UNIX standard). I forgot
to mention debian is much more dedicated to the open
source way and part of it's name is gnu. Oh well I need
to stop rambling and get some sleep.