[OLUG] yet more ppp

Mike McNally mmcnally3 at prodigy.net
Tue Mar 7 23:16:17 UTC 2000

mesc wrote:

> Ok heres what I did,I set my modem's jumpers to com 1/irq 5 (no irq
> conflicts).On linux bootup it detected ttyS01/irq3 and ttyS02/irq 4 but
> the weird part is the only way I can get't my modem to dial out unless I

So your mouse is on com2/irq3.

> link
> it to ttyS02 and use minicom ....it won't dial out with kppp in X (I get
>
> a modem not responding message) nor will it dial out from  the command
> line with ifup ppp0 the commamd I used to use for it.(it just hangs till
> ^C it then I ge tthis message>Failed to activate ppp0 with error 8)
>   I then did cat /proc/interrupts and could see irq 4 for a serial
> port but no irq 5 for the modem,I'm not sure if thats  right shouldn't I
>
> have seen the irq for my modem?
>  I had to disable com 1 in my bios becauses because windows could
> not detect my modem under com 1 only com 3 so I disabled it to avoid a
> irq
> conflict.

This is quite strange.  Are you sure you didn't just mess up when
attempting to get com1/irq4 working?

>  Seeing that it would only dial out if linked to ttyS2 I switched
> my jumpers to com 3/irq 5 but that made no  difference,it would still
> only
> dial out in minicom.
>  I then checked /var/log/messages and got the following output:
> Mar  7 14:42:06 jimbo ifup-ppp: pppd started for ppp0 on /dev/modem at
> 115200
> Mar  7 14:42:06 jimbo modprobe: can't locate module char-major-108
> Mar  7 14:42:06 jimbo pppd[1584]: pppd 2.3.10 started by root, uid 0
> Mar  7 14:42:13 jimbo pppd[1584]: Terminating on signal 15.
> Mar  7 14:42:13 jimbo chat[1594]: SIGTERM
> Mar  7 14:42:13 jimbo pppd[1584]: Connect script failed
> Mar  7 14:42:18 jimbo pppd[1584]: Exit.
>
>  According to the pppd man page Terminating on signal 15=The link
> was terminated because the peer is not responding to echo requests.
> (scratching head)
>
>  I've pasted the following files I configured to use with ppp.I've
> tried editing the /etc/ppp/options file like you said Mike and I've had
> no
> luck yet :(
>
> /etc/ppp/chat
>
> ABORT "NO CARRIER"
> ABORT "NO DIALTONE"
> ABORT "BUSY"
> "" "at"
> OK "at&d0&c1"
> OK " ATDT8275000"
> "name:" "xxxx"
> "word:" "xxxxxxx"
> TIMEOUT 60
> CONNECT

Previously we have discussed that you did not receive anything like a
shell login when you were able to connect via minicom... ie prompts
like:
	username:
	password:

That means that your provider is likely using pap.  So the *name: *word:
lines are inappropriate.  Your discussion of the scripts introduced in
chapt/sec 15 of the ppphowto are also inappropriate as stated in 15.1
line uno:
	If your isp does not require the use of pap/chap then these are the
scripts for you!

But you made no indication that you were receiving a shell like prompt,
so these scripts are inappropriate.  All you need is the programs pppd
and chat and the config files: options, pap-secrets, chat-myisp... oh,
and the program ppp-off that shuts it down and deletes the pid file.
Get rid of the name and word lines.  You'll also want to get your modem
setup on either com1/irq4 or com2/irq3, else you will need to probably
run the command setserial.

What's plugged into your comm ports?  And why did you have to disable
com1... once I screwed up somehow in installing the modem on com2 so I
put it on com4 and then had to disable com2 and I was always confused
about what was on which port until I set a rule (for myself):
	serial mouse (if exists) on lowest com port
	modem			next com port
Now I always know what my mouse and modem are plugged into... and it
isn't one of the irqs normally used for the sound brd or the printer.
But to each his own.

Mike