[OLUG] Exchange on linux?

pohl at screaming.org pohl at screaming.org
Sat Jan 8 00:15:35 UTC 2000

> Does anyone know a mail program on Linux that will interface
> with a MS exchange server?

I'm currently using fetchmail to get mail via IMAP, and
have it using SMTP to forward to the exim (see exim.org)
daemon on my linux box.  From there you can use whatever
mail reader you would normally use on linux.  I use raw mh
on the command line.

If you don't want to have to talk to your admin and you
already know the hostname of your exchange server, you
might try

    telnet whateverhostname 220

to see if an IMAP gateway is aready listening, or

    telnet whateverhostname 110

to see if a POP3 gateway might be listening.  That's how
I found out about mine at work.  The downside, though, is
that with Exchange it's possible to set up some pretty bizarre
usernames, so your admin may have made it impossible for you
to guess yours.

Where I work it ended up being

    "THECOMPANYNAME\firstname_lastname\firstname lastname"

YUCK!  It took me awhile to realize that I had to escape
the backslashes by doubling them in the fetchmail config file.