[OLUG] Learning and classes (was Re: [OLUG] graphical symbolic debugger)

Mike Hostetler thehaas at binary.net
Mon Feb 14 05:53:23 UTC 2000

On Sun, Feb 13, 2000 at 11:13:57PM -0600, Dave Burchell wrote:

> I second that.  (But make sure you have _The C Programming Language_ by
> Brian Kernighan and Dennis Ritchie (K&R) as well as the Cow book.)
>
> Section 1.1 of K&R says "The only way to learn a new programming
> language is by writing programs in it."  I think they meant it.

K&R was what we used for my infamous C class.  I couldn't make heads or tails of it, so I
can't recommend it. But I have heard that it is great to use after you have been through the
Cow Book.  Personally, I use "C: A Reference Manual" by Harrison and Steele to help out when
the Cow Book gets vague.

Otherwise, I agree totally with what Dave said and give a big thumbs-up to the OLUG.  I hope
this keeps up.

- mikeh

--
Mike Hostetler